Configure Chatbot to Zendesk Chat Handoff
Relying on decision trees, NLP, NLU, and content source corpora, your chatbots are your company's frontline representatives. They act as a wall against the deluge of customer requests while still delivering exceptional user experiences. Most of the time, the chatbots work. For the exceptional scenarios, you can backstop the wall with human agents.
This article is for support managers whose teams work in Zendesk Chat and who have also set up a SearchUnify chatbot on their community, website, or another customer-facing platform. In this article, they can learn how to ensure a smooth handoff to an agent working in Zendesk Chat when the chatbot falters in the face of a complex query or the user has a preference for carbon-based intelligence over a silicon-based one.
It's been assumed that you already have:
- A chatbot set up; or at least one story in Conversation
- Moved to Colubridae '20 or a newer version of SearchUnify
- Active Zendesk Adapter
Configure the Handoff
- Go to Virtual Agent from main navigation.
- Click to view chatbot settings.
- In Conversation, open a story for editing.
- From If Bot Recognizes, select the intent in response to which the handoff will be triggered. SuggestionCreate an intent exclusively for handover. In most chatbots, that intent will be named Out of Scope, Handover to Zendesk, or something along those lines.
- Start writing a response.
- From the Response Type dropdown, select Options.
- In the Enter Title field, write a message that will be displayed in the chat window right above the message prompting the user to connect to an agent.
What happens when no agent is available during the handoff?
When a handoff is initiated during off hours, or at a time when no agent is available, the chatbot returns an apology. The content of the apology message is managed in Zendesk.
- Because handoff is an Option, the response will be in the form of a button. Enter a label for the button (1) and select Zendesk Live Agent from dropdown (2).
- OPTIONAL. Insert more responses.
- Save your settings.
Now whenever your chatbot will encounter the intent selected in step 4, it will initiate the handoff process. During the process, the entire conversation between the chatbot and the user will be forwarded to one of your agents (section highlighted yellow in the image in Result), who can then skim through the conversation and learn about the issue before accepting the chat request or transferring it to a colleague.
Here are an image of Zendesk Adapter in action.
Last updated: Friday, September 25, 2020