Synonyms to Improve Search Experience
Synonyms enhance search experience. For example, end-users don't always use the keywords "install searchunify in salesforce" if they are looking for a document named SearchUnify: Installation Instructions for Salesforce. They can run alternative search queries, such as "run searchunify in salesforce", "set up searchunify in sf", or "get su for sf" or a variation thereof. Irrespective of the exact search term, the users expect SearchUnify: Installation Instructions for Salesforce to turn up. Synonyms in NLP Manager makes it possible.
Synonyms maintains a large database of related words and phrases. Each group of related words or phrases is a cluster, which are used to improve search results relevancy. The cluster database in a SearchUnify instance can be huge and it keeps expanding in two ways:
- SearchUnify analyzes conversions. It compares search queries with the titles of clicked search results and then processes them to filter irrelevant words.
- Similar term suggestions are extracted from a collocation-sensitive thesaurus for suggesting the most probable synonyms.
As an admin, you can accept or reject the suggestions to create new synonym clusters and edit existing ones. You can also delete an existing cluster. On their part, end-users can turn off synonym search by appending a hashtag to their search queries. For details, check out Use Advanced Search.
List of Synonyms/Abbreviation
Four settings are available in List of Synonyms/Abbreviation: Add a new synonyms cluster, edit one or more synonyms existing clusters, delete one or more synonyms clusters, and turn on or turn off Exact
Add a Synonyms Cluster
- Go to NLP Manager, click Synonyms and then Add New.
- Enter a keyword and all its synonymous phrases and click .
Each synonym is separated from others by a comma.
NOTE 1. Never use underscores, hyphens, or any non-character symbol in synonyms and acronyms.
NOTE 2. On adding a keyword or phrase several times, the synonyms for the added keyword or phrase are picked for a pair at random.
- The new synonyms cluster will be in List of Synonyms \ Abbreviation. Click Save to keep your changes.
Edit One or More Synonyms Clusters
List of Synonyms/Abbreviation allows you to edit a synonyms cluster at a time or make changes to all the clusters simultaneously.
Edit One Cluster
- To edit one cluster, find it through the search box and click . The search works on parent values. For example, the format is: parent: synonym1, synonym2 and so on.
- Make the changes and save your settings.
- Click Save. , find it through the search box.
Edit All Clusters
- To edit all clusters simultaneously, click Edit All.
- Make changes and then save them.
- Click Save to keep your changes.
Delete One or More Synonyms Cluster
List of Synonyms/Abbreviation allows you to delete a synonyms cluster at a time or make changes to all the clusters simultaneously.
Delete a Cluster
- To delete one cluster, find it through the search box and click .
- Delete all the terms from a cluster and click .
- Click Save.
Delete Several Clusters
When Exact Match is turned on, multiword synonyms are treated as exact phrases. The highlighted row in the following image is an illustration.
kcs is a synonym of
knowledge centered service. Exact Match is turned on by default.
On turning off Exact Match, multiword synonyms are split by space.
knowledge centered service is treated as three separate terms, instead of one. As a consequence,
kcs is not merely a synonym of
knowledge centered service, but also of
service separately. It doesn't end here.
knowledge has its own synonym,
KB, in the first row. Therefore,
KB are synonyms as well.
Suggestions List: Synonyms and Abbreviations
List of Synonyms / Abbreviations allows SU Admins to insert synonyms. Suggestions List is more advanced. Based on the search data, it suggestions potential synonyms and abbreviations. As an SU Admin, you can accept or reject the suggestions.
From NLP Manager, go to Synonyms.
Select either Synonyms or Abbreviations. Select Synonyms if you are interested in queries. For instance, the system may suggest that service and help are synonyms. Select Abbreviations if you are interested in acronyms. For instance, the system may suggest that end-users abbreviate textformfield controller porte to TCP.
To view suggested synonyms or abbreviations, click . To close the view, you can click .
To accept a synonyms or abbreviations cluster, hover over it and check it.
To accept only one cluster, click . To accept multiple clusters, click Move to List.
Save your settings.
Last updated: Thursday, March 23, 2023
Or, send us your review at email@example.com