If you have limited keywords to boost, say 50, Keyword Boosting can help you out. But what if you have to handle boosting for 5000 keywords and synonyms? Intent tuning saves the day in such scenarios as it allows you to put a custom rank on a document for hundreds of thousands of similar queries. Similar keyword clusters are grouped together as Utterances within an Intent and hence, relevant results are displayed for the user by detecting their search intent from a query.
Intent data is drawn from Intent Dictionary in NLP Manager where various intents can be created manually or through smart Intent Suggestions. This data is utilized to implement tuning for a desired intent of search queries.
Select a Search Client for Manual Tuning
Manual Tuning is not universal. You can apply it to a search client without impacting others. To get started, pick the search client where tuning is going to be applied.
From Search Tuning, go to Manual.
Select a search client where Manual Tuning is going to be applied.
When there are multiple search clients in a SearchUnify instance and your job is to apply manual tuning to only one of them, you can bookmark your search client by clicking in the Select Search Client dropdown.
Enable Intent Tuning
- Turn on Boost Document for Intent.
- Search the query you wish to boost the documents for. Then, click Add Intent for a document.
- On clicking Add Intent, a dialog appears where you can pick an intent from the Select Intent dropdown. In the image, login intent and new issue have been picked. A result slated for rank two may or may not turn up on its position if an end-user applies a filter. Admins can now give search users a choice. Check Bypass All Filters. When Bypass All Filters is checked, a checkbox appears on search clients which end-users can tick to force apply intent tuning.
- Click Add.
- To boost a document for more than one intent, simply pick them from the Select Intent dropdown, and click Add. Once you are done, click assign a rank for each intent and click Save.
- If you see a confirmation message, the document has been boosted for the selected intent(s) successfully.
To double-check, search the query again. If you see the Boosted tag, your document has been successfully tuned.
You can click on the Boosted Documents button to view the list of all the documents that are currently boosted based on Intent.
You can click under the Action column to delete the boosting for a document or edit its rank through the Rank dropdown.
Apply Bypass Formula
The search box can be influenced by the keyword and intent tuning you have already employed, which is great for end-users but not when you are trying to tune results. To negate the impact of tuning and view vanilla results, toggle on Apply Bypass Formula. Turning it on allows admins to see all the results for a search query irrespective of the current tuning settings.
Last updated: Wednesday, March 29, 2023
Or, send us your review at email@example.com