Use Khoros As a Content Source
This article explains how to index the ideas, blogs, reviews, groups, and other content types on your Khoros-powered brand community.
- To crawl a Khoros community, category, or board, you should have access to the community and admin access in SearchUnify and Khoros.
- Empty Khoros communities cannot be crawled.
- Write to
email@example.com subscribe to event subscription for
- MessageMove. When messages move within boards, that change reflects in the SearchUnify index.
- MessageDelete. Deleted messages are removed from the index.
- MessageCreate. The new message is added into the SearchUnify index when a message is created.
- SearchUnify respects board-level access. It shows results to users if the parent board is accessible to the user in the Khoros community.
- Content permissions are adhered to as long as the search client is installed in a Khoros community. For search clients installed on platforms other than Khoros, search is limited to open boards.
Attachments can only be crawled if you select either Community user or OAuth and Community user during authentication.
Establish a Connection
- Navigate to Content Sources.
- Click Add New Content Source.
- Find Khoros from the search box and click Add.
- Give your content source a name.
- Enter the web address of your brand community in Client URL.
- From the Language dropdown, select the primary language of your community.
- Select an Authentication Method.
- Click Connect.
Set Up Crawl Frequency
The first crawl is always manual and is performed after configuring the content source. For now, keep the frequency to its default value Never and click Set and move to the next section.
Archived and spam messages are deleted each hour.
Select Fields for Indexing
You can index your entire community data, or only a subset of it. The platform supports all the eight Khoros interaction styles out-of-the-box:
Group Hubs, nested categories (
Category_flat), and a native-filter Topics with No Result (renamed to Replied) was introduced in Colubridae '21. If your Khoros content source has been set up after that, you will see those fields in all Khoros objects. However, if the content source was configured before C'21, then a way to view those fields is to create a new Khoros content source from scratch.
Admins can set up Group Hubs in Boards. As for Replied, it works when it has been crawled in Search Clients > Edit > Content Sources.
- Click to select a Khoros interaction style.
- Add content fields one at a time. Each field corresponds to an interaction style field.
- OPTIONAL. Each field is assigned a label and a type, but they can be changed. You can enter a new value in Label and select
- OPTIONAL. Pick a value in Select. If the value of a field is
isSearchable, the data appears in search results. But if the value is
isFilterable, the field will be used as a facet.
- Click Add.
- Repeat the steps 2–5 for other fields and Save.
- Repeat the steps 1-6 for other Khoros objects, and navigate to By Boards.
- Find your boards with the index. A board named "Discussions" is found under "D" and a board named "Xenon" under "X." If you have added or deleted a board, use Reindex to view the latest list of boards. If no board is selected, then SearchUnify will index data from all the boards.
- Check Enable and click Save.
After the First Crawl
Return to the Content Sources screen and click in Actions. The number of indexed documents is updated after the crawl is complete. You can view crawl progress in in Actions. Documentation on crawl progress is in View Crawl Logs.
Review the settings in Rules if there is no progress in Crawl Logs.
For Mamba '22 and newer instances, search isn't impacted during a crawl. However, in older instances, some documents remain inaccessible while a crawl is going on.
Once the first crawl is complete, click in Actions open the content source for editing, and set a crawl frequency.
- In Choose a Date, click to fire up a calendar and select a date. Only the data after the selected date is indexed.
- Use the Frequency dropdown to select how often SearchUnify should index the data. For illustration, the frequency has been set to Weekly and Tuesday has been chosen as the crawling day. Whenever the Frequency is other than Never, a third dropdown appears where you can specify the interval. Also, whenever Frequency is set to Hourly, then manual crawls are disabled.
- Click Set to save crawl frequency settings. On clicking Set, you are taken to the Rules tab.
Data Deletion and SU Index
A method to update the index in real time is to enable event subscriptions, which supplement existing crawls and synchronize data between your Khoros community and SearchUnify in real time.
Archived and spam messages ID are fetched through API and deleted each hour.
Use manual crawling, instead of frequency crawling, to update the index if messages have moved between boards.
Use manual crawling, instead of frequency crawling, to update comments, group hub information, reply count, boardName, boardId, boardTitle, replied fields in the index.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Or, send us your review at firstname.lastname@example.org